The clock is ticking … on the 25th May 2018, GDPR – General Data Protection Regulation – becomes enforceable.
On Tuesday the 4th July 2017, we held our highly successful GDPR and Cybercrime event at the Chester Racecourse! – an informal non-pressured, non-technical event aimed at giving you the low down on the upcoming GDPR laws in order to best position their business for the future.
You know you need to do something but its next year, right? Right, but! There are serious implications at stake, most of all your company’s reputation and significant loss of revenue, up to 4% in some cases.
We all use data in some way or another and it is your responsibility to ensure that you protect the personal information that both you and your staff collect and use. This also includes implementing the appropriate security measures to ensure that access to the data you hold is never accidentally or deliberately compromised. Breaches of data protection legislation could lead to your business incurring a fine. The reputation of your business could also be damaged if inadequate security contributes to high profile incidents of data loss or theft.
With less than a year to go, there is a lot to think about, plan and also budget for.
Who is responsible?
This will affect everybody – it’s not just down to Legal or Compliance. If you hold any information about any client whatsoever, this applies to YOU.
Herbie Mann once said, “If you bury your head in the sand you don’t know where the kicks are coming from!” The wait and see attitude is not an option. Key stakeholders need to take ownership and prioritise the importance of Technology under GDPR compliance and bring this in to the decision making and budgeting process early on.
So where should you begin?
Keeping your IT systems safe and secure can be a complex task. Here at B2 IT Solutions we have expert knowledge to help put the appropriate measures in place. We recognise that there is no ‘quick fix’. We understand that systems implemented today should not be redundant tomorrow and must be scaled toward your growing Business’ needs.
First and foremost – before anything else, it is worth completing a full systems audit before establishing what level of security is right for your business.
There is no single product that can provide a complete guarantee of security. With more than 25 years of industry experience, B2 IT Solutions have the knowledge and expertise to implement a solution that will ensure you are protected and compliant ‘within’ the GDPR laws from May 2018 and beyond.
Practical steps to help you formulate your GDPR plan:
- Assess the threats and risks – complete a full systems audit and risk assessment in order to prioritise next steps Sign up here!
- Do you have sufficient firewalls in place? Do you use access control, have a secure configuration, malware protection and – are you performing regular software updates?
- Have you defined a clear strategy and allocated sufficient budget for this?
- Do you have adequate resource in place in order to implement, roll out and monitor?
- Assess the gap – what are the GDPR requirements vs your technology requirements? Staff training, how do you measure up?
- Do you already have the right systems in place? Do you use encryption and other security technologies?
- Backup and Disaster Recovery – a key consideration, have you got your DR plan in place?
GDPR Compliance benefits:
There is so much buzz around the impending GDPR, let’s take a look at some of the positives!
- You will have created and have access to higher quality, more accurate data: a Marketers and Salespersons dream!
- Greater insight in to your customer needs, yielding increased customer satisfaction
- Cost reduction and a decreased IT infrastructure footprint
- Opportunity to simplify the applications landscape – generating significant cost savings
Would you like to know more?
Following the success of our GDPR and Cybercrime breakfast event at the Chester Racecourse on 4th July we will be looking to hold another event soon. Keep an eye on our events page for more details.
You can reach us on 01244 837100 to book your “get compliant” systems audit or for more info on how to get started.
Don’t get caught short with a hefty fine – definitely worth top position on your to do list